"Death's Head" SAMAS Power Armor
The original PA-06A SAMAS has been a workhorse for the Coalition States, proving to be fast, maneuverable and deadly in all environments, from open combat to city streets. The SAMAS' amazing versatility has made it equally useful in infantry assault, frontline combat, surgical strikes, troop support, seek and destroy, reconnaissance, rescue, espionage and defense. It can hover, fly, and make tight turns while traveling at maximum speed. Being roughly man-sized and having a relatively short wingspan, it maneuvers through narrow streets and corridors, yet does not sacrifice firepower or armor protection for size and maneuverability. Its folding wings enables the armor to make Vertical Take-Offs and Landings (VTOL) with the wings in a down position, as well as allowing the wings to be folded partially or entirely and still rocket down narrow hallways and through open doors. The Death's Head SAMAS quickly became "the" power armor of the CS and is famous and feared throughout North America. The "Death's Head" SAMAS is available to commandos, Special Forces and the elite RPA SAMAS pilots.
Model Type: PA-06A
Class: Strategic Armor Military Assault Suit
M.D.C. by Location:
* Shoulder Wings (2) — 50 each (improved M.D.C.)
Main Rear Jets (2) — 60 each
Lower Maneuvering Jets (2; small) — 25 each
* Ammo Drum (rear) — 35
* Rail Gun — 50
Forearm Mini-Missile Launcher (1; left) — 50
* Hands (2) — 25 each
Arms (2) — 50 each
Legs (2) — 100 each
** Head — 70
*** Main Body — 250
* A single asterisk indicates a small and difficult target to strike, requiring the attacker to make a "called shot," but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
** Destroying the head of the power armor will eliminate all forms of optical enhancement and sensory systems. The pilot must them rely on his own human vision and senses. No power armor combat bonuses to strike, parry, and dodge!
The head is a small and difficult target to hit, shielded by exhaust tubes and a weapon drum. Thus, it can only be hit when a character makes a "called shot" and even then the attacker is -3 to strike.
*** Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the armor down completely, making it useless. Note: Destroying a wing will make flight impossible. However, even with no wing(s) the SAMAS can make jet powered leaps and hover stationary above the ground.
Running: 60 mph (96 km) maximum; can go from zero to 60 mph (96.5 km) in 12 seconds. Note that the act of running does tire out its operator, but at 10% of the usual fatigue rate, thanks to the robot exoskeleton.
Leaping: The powerful robot legs can leap up to 15 feet (4.6 m) high or across unassisted by the thrusters.
A jet thruster assisted leap can propel the unit up to 100 feet (30.5 m) high and 200 feet (61 m) across without actually attaining flight.
Flying: The rocket propulsion system enables the SAMAS to hover stationary up to 200 feet (61 m) or fly. Maximum flying speed is 300 mph (480 km), but cruising speed is considered to be 150 mph (240 km). Maximum altitude has been suggested to be limited to about 500 feet (152 m), but use in the field has proven that the PA-06A SAMAS can easily attain and maintain an altitude of 6000 feet (1829 m; a little over one mile/1.6 km)). Higher than this, high winds and rough weather make flight both erratic and dangerous. The SAMAS is just too small and light, it was designed to be a low altitude power armor suit that could hug the ground and slip under enemy radar, which it does admirably. Optimum altitude range is ground level to about 1000 feet (305 m).
Flying Range: The nuclear power supply gives the SAMAS decades of life but the jet rockets get hot and need to cool after a maximum of 10 hours of continuous flight at speeds above cruising, 24 hours at cruising speed. It can fly and indefinitely with rest stops every few hours.
Underwater Capabilities: Swimming: The SAMAS can swim using the same types of paddling leg and arm movements as a human at a maximum speed of roughly four mph (6.4 km/3.4 knots). It can also walk along the bottom of the sea at about 25% of its normal running speed. Using the jet thrusters, the SAMAS can travel on the surface of water at 50 mph (80 km/42.5 knots), underwater at 40 mph (64 km/34 knots) or fly above the water's surface at normal speeds.
Maximum Ocean Depth: 1000 feet (305 m).
Height: 8 feet (2.4 m)
Width: Wings down, 3.5 feet (1.06 m)
Wings extended, 10 feet (3 m)
Length: 4 feet, 6 inches (1.4 m)
Weight: 340 Ibs (153 kg) without rail gun.
Physical Strength: Equal to a robotic P.S. of 30
Cargo: In the chest there is room for up to 4 small Load bearing pouches (or 2 Medium Load bearing pouches) behind panels that open up by voice command or by depressing a stud. Also, on the front of each thigh a medium Load bearing pouch may be placed (for a total of 2).Power System: Nuclear, average SAMAS energy life is 20 years.
1. C-40R SAMAS Rail Gun (1): This is standard equipment for the "Death's Head" SAMAS and is considered to be the most powerful, accurate, and lightweight rail gun in the world. It requires no separate power pack, because it is hooked directly to the armor's nuclear power supply. Other heavier rail guns can be substituted.
Primary Purpose: Assault
Secondary Purpose: Defense
Weight: Gun: 92 lbs. (41.4 kg), One SAMAS Ammo-Drum: 190 lbs. (85.5 kg).
Mega-Damage: A burst is 40 rounds and inflicts 1D4x10 M.D., one round does 1D4 M.D.
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks (usually 4-6).
Maximum Effective Range: 4000 feet (1200 m)
Payload: 2000 round drum, that's 50 bursts. A second drum can be hooked to the undercarriage of the rocket jets, but first the used drum must be manually removed by another SAMAS or character with a strength of 26 or higher and the new ammo drum put in its place. Reloading a drum will take about 5 minutes for those not trained, but a mere one minute by somebody trained in the use of SAMAS power armor.
2. CM-2 Rocket Launcher: The forearm not used to operate the rail gun, usually the left, is armed with a simple, two rocket, mini-missile launcher.
Primary Purpose: Anti-Aircraft
Secondary Purpose: Defense
Missile Type: Any mini-missile can be used, but standard issue is armor piercing (1D4x10 M.D.) or plasma (1D6x10). Fragmentation will be used for anti-personnel operations.
Mega-Damage: Varies with missile type.
Range: Usually about a mile.
Rate of Fire: One or two.
3. Energy Rifles: The "Death's Head" SAMAS is small enough that it can use any of the standard infantry weapons from pistols and vibro-blades to rifles. Any of these items can be substituted for the rail gun or kept as a back-up weapon; usually slung at the waist on an extra large utility belt or holstered on the upper leg. Space limitations and the bulk of the armor usually limits additional man-sized weapons to one handgun and/or one rifle. Grenades can also be carried in a satchel (typically 6-12) and dropped like bombs. Grenades cannot be carried hooked to a belt or bandoleer for fear of being pulled off when traveling at great speed.
4. Hand to Hand Combat: Rather than use a weapon, the pilot can engage in mega-damage hand to hand combat. See Basic and Elite Power Armor Combat Training for combat bonuses.
5. Sensor System Note: The SAMAS has full optical systems, including laser targeting, telescopic, passive nightvision (light amplification), thermo-imaging, infrared, ultraviolet, and polarization. Plus all other features common to all power armor.
Sensor Bonuses: The SAMAS gets a bonus of +1 to strike and +1 to dodge in addition to the power armor target bonus and Basic or Elite Power Armor Combat Training bonuses.